Well, I can't email from Edline yet, so I can't get the notes out to you from today. Your class lists aren't in Edline for the semester, so I can't even use that. This stinks! I'll try on Monday, if they get the switch over done for the semester courses. It is outlined in the packet.
A few questions to be answered for all students:
"How will we know where everyone's blog is?" - as soon as people post here what their blog name is so I get an address to their blog, I will set up links on here. If I'm really feeling adventurous, I'll even put them in alpha order by class hour. We'll see.
"When do we have to post?" Think of it as a weekend assignment every week. This week, you need two comments by Monday morning. That's why all the questions are on here - to get you thinking about it. Or, you can post questions, thoughts, concerns. Recipes for really good desserts. You know what I mean.
Here are some things to think about with Unit One and PPC's:
1. Take a look at this article: http://www.foreignaffairs.org/20040501faessay83301-p0/daniel-w-drezner/the-outsourcing-bogeyman.html . From this author's perspective, what is the opportunity cost of outsourcing jobs offshore? Based on those costs, what does he suggest the role of the government should be in this growing phenomenon?
2. Does the Internet raise or lower the cost of making friends? As you consider this question, visit a virtual meeting place: the American Intercultural Student Exchange (http://www.aise.com). Or you may wish to participate in a live chat with other people on the Internet. Explain how scarcity relates to the Internet.
3. Visit the White House home page-http://www.whitehouse.gov/. Look under Current News. Choose a topic you think pertains to economics. Does the subject matter pertain to macroeconomics or microeconomics? Is the analysis primarily normative or positive?
4. Determine whether each of the following would cause the economy's PPC to shift inward, outward, or not at all: (a) An increase in average length of average vacation, (b) An increase in immigration, (c) A decrease in the average retirement age, (d) The migration of skilled workers to other countries.
5. Provide some examples of specialized markets or retail outlets. What makes the Web so conducive to specialization?